Monday, January 30, 2006

amlit338

amlit338I might be lying if I said that I wasn't writing this blog out of obligation and expectation,heh, I haven't decided yet.
When I think about the Darger lecture and what I got from it, I'm having a hard time thinking clearly without seeing clip art images of little girls with penises.
I guess the paramount point I got from it is the fact that there could be Dargers out there everywhere. We could know them, and not know. Makes me want to have an a'ala park schizophrenic ghost-write my memoirs. He'd probably do a better job.
What makes me curious about Darger is the context in which his work exists. Would it have been so interesting, say, if Stephen King did what Darger did. His career would no doubt be over. What I'm trying to say, or ask is: does the fact that Darger was a hermit who had had a heartbreaking and incredible history, affect the way his work is valued today? I think it does. His story is as equally fascinating as his body of work is. And for audiences and pretentious obscure art fanatics, it's difficult to find that singular spot where Darger ends and "The Story of the Vivian Girls, in What is Known as the Realms of the Unreal, of the Glandeco-Angelinnian War Storm, as caused by the Child Slave Rebellion" begins. We love all things elusive. Darger and his work then become a novel specimen for critics and others to poke and prod and probe for years to come.

1 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

Spencer--thanks for humoring your enthusiastic prof! And congrats for getting the entire title of the Darger opus.

9:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home