Saturday, January 21, 2006

Hee Haw!!!

amlit338
Everyone seems to be on the anti-drug campaign here. Some attributing Ginsberg n' Co's madness to substance abuse. I'm gonna go out on a limb and stick up for the junkies and street freaks of the world because it's a little unfair as of now.
Are drugs so much a cause, as much as they are a consequence? Consequence of what? I guess we'd have to ask a junkie to truly find out what kinds of things would drive them to lives of substance abuse because something tells me that the outside looking in assumption theory doesn't really cut it. No. Drugs and the bum rap it's been getting all these years is just too easy an answer? There's got to be something more to it... But what?
Then there's this Moloch dude, who's eating kids and having a bull head with horns and stuff. That's pretty intense. I read somewhere that sacrifices were made to him too. And then more sacrificial religious symbology: "Who barreled down the highways of the past journeying to eachother's hotrod-Golgotha jail-solitude watch." I looked up Golgotha and it refers to Calvary, the hill Jesus was crucified on.
It's interesting to see the contrasts of drugs, sex, "man boy love" as coined by AJ the other day, and seemingly sheer madness, with all these religious iconographic images and concepts. Is the contrast really that drastic? I've heard the saying "Religion is the opiate of the masses" and I think the words "religion" and "opiate" are interchangeable, along with sexual pleasure, violence, etc.
What I think all of these have in common, is the way they can be used as successful tools to escape. Escape what? Choose what you like. Moloch? Now if I only knew what Moloch is supposed to be. Or who he/she is supposed to be. It'd be a lot easier if Ginseberg were alive, cause then we could just email him.
My theory, and that's all it is, completely subject to change, is that they were doing all this shit, both fast living and metaphysical searching as means of escape. Escaping what exactly, I don't know, but my 2 guesses are society...easy enough, and also, in a more broad sense, escape from the pains of being men/women. "He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." I read that somewhere and I think it's relevant. Both religion and indulgence are not so different. At least I don't think so.
I think Ginsberg n friends were offering themselves up as sarifices. And in the way Christ's life became significant only when it was sealed in blood, so it was here. Only through their own personal suffering could their endeavors hope to mean anything significant, then and most especially now. I think they were trying to illustrate a way of living with out boundary or border, and during a time when it was near impossible. Redraw the lines... Only so they can be erased again.
Solomon didn't fair so well in the end, but that's what makes section III so beautiful and poignant. Like two buddies coming back from the trenches of war. Things are much different in each of their lives. But Ginsberg reconciles all the madness and smooths out all the lumps in his and carl's lives with a simple statement: "I am with you in Rockland" damn... G-berg. It's a shame your dead. whatevs.

Drug haters may find a few guilty laughs here: Kinda long, but worth it, totally.


http://www.sacredcow.com/media/source/store_items/relentless/great_times.mp3

http://www.sacredcow.com/media/source/store_items/relentless/drugsgood.mp3

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home