Thursday, February 02, 2006

War is Crazy!

When I first began to read Dispatches I had a hard time getting into the book. But it wasn't too long until it got my attention. There were so many descriptive details of places and people that it was easy to picture all these things as I read. I found the book a little disturbing, but this is the reality of war.

I met a person once who was in the war in Iraq and was sent back with a purple heart. Everytime I saw him he was drunk or on drugs. I even saw him do ice in front of me. When I asked him why he did those things he said it was because he was afraid to sleep. If he slept he would dream about his time in Iraq and he didn't want to dream. I never judged him to doing drugs or the way that he was because I know that what he went through is something that I would never be able to understand. He disappeared one day and I never saw him again. Sometimes I still wonder what he's doing now.

When I was reading Dispatches I also thought that this reporter had some courage to go to Vietnam and risk his life just for a story. I don't think that I would be able to do such a thing. I also think that anyone that goes to war has courage. I know some other people that are being deployed to Iraq in a couple of months and when I talk to them I can tell that they are getting nervous and scared. Although I want to say something to comfort them I really don't know whas to say, but war is just CRAZY and I hate it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home