Thursday, April 06, 2006

Apio is a story teller not an activist and don't buy dells.

It's 2:45am. I haven't done this "Blog" thing in a while since my computer died (seriously, hard drive crashed then CD player so I couldn't reboot my hardrive, and then keyboard so I couldn't type in codes for the new CD player to reboot the hard drive) for over two weeks. And I haven't finished reading Kamau because this last month has kicked my ass and I have bad time-management skills. But, in a hope to salvage a grade...I figured I better type SOMETHING for this Thursday's class.

I don't think this story is aimed at any one group inparticular. Like most things in life, a person usually writes more for themselves than an audience. It seems that Apio is writing of a personal battle and we're voyeurs watching it unfold. He's not so much writing to get a certain point across, he's just writing for the point of writing. The irony of the "lies" Alika has to tell to the tourists isn't meant to be spiteful towards the "haoles", it's just meant to explain Hawaiian history. The riddles and stories mom tells Alika aren't subliminal messages meant to say that Hawaiians are "better" than others, it's just the mom knows a lot of riddles and stories. Michael isn't justified or unjustified in his anger, he's just angry and the Clements aren't to be blamed for their interested ignorance, they're just ignorant and interested. This play feels like there's no "comfortable" growth and resolution because there's no such thing as a comfortable ending in reality. It just shows people in their true light, people are the way they are simply because people are the way they are--sometime's its not about complaining, or pointing, or judging, but just accepting and coping.

ps. don't buy dell computers.


amlit338

1 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

Nicely put, Jody, though I'd say that a writer like Apio is doing more than "just writing." His play is like a laboratory within which he can observe the issues that affect him, his family, his culture. That's pretty intense stuff! Sorry about your computer woes.

10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home