Thursday, April 06, 2006

Sometimes to call a kettle black is neccesary. Even if you are a pot...

it was'n't a joke....

OK, so someone said ( in a very racist way... I don't taste like piss in general, unless I haven't been showering and have been urinating on myself... which only happens like twice a year, so I really doubt you have tasted my piss... ) that they weren't sure what to take away from the play. Personally, I am torn by the topic. One side of me: I love Hawaii. I moved here from Texas and have loved every minute here. I have made many friends and enjoy the atmosphere on the island (aloha). Another side of me empathizes with what Hawaii used to be. The Hawaiian people used to be able to live off of the land and survive no matter whether they could "find a job" or "rent an apartment." These social neccesities have been pushed in their faces, when they never needed them before. Hawaii was something different. I love the islands for what they are now, but I hate that the Hawaiian people have been pushed aside and to the bottom of the social totem pole.

I think what the author tried to get through was this: Don't hate the people around you. Don't hate the security guard. He just wants to feed his family. Don't hate the boss. He just wants to be successful and probably feed his family too. Don't hate the haole couple. They just want to save for years and years to be able to afford to spend less than two weeks on the beautiful island we take for granted. If you hate a haole, or a security guard, or a regional manager of a hotel for whatever irrational reasons you do, it doesn't hurt them. It hurts you. They don't stay up at night crying about it. They don't keep a ball of frustration inside that affects their relationships and state of mind. Alika did change. He realized that his people were in a bad place, but the play is realistic. He has the power to do one thing: Take care of the people he loves. If he let the hate that began to well up inside of him overtake him, he would lose the ones he loved. He could quit his job and let his niece starve, or he could keep working and keep his people, the ones DIRECTLY CLOSE TO HIM, THE MOST IMPORTANT OF HIS PEOPLE, alive and well.

Hate is a strong emotion. It's stronger than love. We can deny love. We can hide the fact that we care about someone, for fear that we might get hurt. But hate is stronger. It has no inhibitions because it WANTS to cause damage. It craves to be set free and be loosed on an unsuspecting literature class. It wants you to smash a "haole" in the face for the mere fact that they are a haole... (what? Haole? White person or non-hawaiian? Wanna smash some japanese people?)But, hate is a choice. Hate feels good, but to forgive is divine. Once you can forgive, you can be happy. You can hate those around you, and hurt yourself, or you can forgive them and enjoy life.


I have a dream. That one day people in Hawaii will not be hated based on the color of their skin, but by the content of their character. That one day a man can walk down the street and be called an asshole because his character resembles that of an anus, not because his ethnic background is different. That one day a woman can be called a skanky ho because she is lascivious and has multiple sexual partners, not becuase her skin color and her facial features are different. I HAVE A DREAM; that one day I can be hated for who I am and what I have done; not for what someone years ago of the same ethnicity did.

1 Comments:

Blogger Joshua said...

Amarillo

3:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home