Thursday, April 20, 2006

Some Translations and.. Asiaphile (sp?)

From Dia De Los Muertos:
Dia de los muertos = Day of the dead. It's a holiday and stuff. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dia_De_Los_Muertos

Sin ofrendas. Sin oracion.
Without altars. Without prayer.

Desparecido.
This one comes from the verb desparecer, which means "to hide." I believe it is simple the first person conjugation. "I hide"

From The Victory Prayer:

Aqui, en mi ciudad de suenos.
Here, in my city of dreams

La Sangre, Las Venas, La ruptura.
The blood, The veins, The rupture.

I really enjoyed the injections of Spanish, but I wondered why she didn't write one entire poem in Spanish. It's really a beautiful language and works well in poetry. I only found a handful of phrases in the book. I was actually really excited when Susan mentioned that there was Spanish in the book in class. I was a little disappointed because there were only a few phrases, all of them very simple and easily translatable by someone that doesn't even speak Spanish. If they have a good grasp of language in general, that is.

Asiaphile: Wow, that was a little brutal. I was actually considering going to China or Japan to teach English either before or after I go to grad school. And I do find Asian women attractive (A beautiful woman is beautiful, no matter what label of race you try to give her). I think it's a little strange to label someone's attraction to the women of another race as something bad. "Yellow Fever" "Jungle Fever" "Cracker Fever." To label it something like that, like a disease, is infering that interracial marriages are bad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home