Thursday, April 27, 2006

To be elitist or not to be elitist...isn't quite the question I was trying to ask the other day but it was misconstrued and people almost died. sorry.

I will admit, my "elitist" comment was a bit of me playing devil's advocate. But, while I understand why there is the use of multiple languages and this and that and blah blah blah...In truth, I just wasn't impressed by BJR.

The sad thing is, within the first, ten pages or so, I DID like BJR. But then by the 20, 30, 50th page...I just wanted some damn puncuation.

But, that's just me and my own preferences. I'm sure the majority of englishtagalogbabayin speaking people LOVE that there's no puncuation. It's making a statement--or something like that.

It's good imagery, it's a good topic, it's good in a lot of ways, it just wasn't GREAT. Which brings me back to my "elitist" comment.

I think the reason I felt compelled to say that perhaps she's being elitist, was because, there is something great here. There is a great message that BJR is trying to convey, get across, hit you in the face with--BUT--she doesn't quite do it. And because she just misses the "something great written by someone who really wants to make a difference for the literary world as a WHOLE" mark, it feels more like it's in the "something good that an elitist wrote" category.

So--I guess my comment wasn't meant to say "YES! BJR is an elitist"...it was just meant to say, "You know, BJR is coming across a little elitist."

Okay?

okay.

amlit338


ps. i really hate that "william blake" comment.

pps. my boyfriend is irish/french.

3 Comments:

Blogger Joshua said...

What does your boyfriend have to do with ANYTHING, Jody?!?!?!

You confuse me...

I am glad you played Devil. It was about your turn(even though somehow I ended up being singled out by the Shultz in defense of your advocacy) :-P

4:22 AM  
Blogger sau said...

Oh, maybe its the insomnia, but: "And because she just misses the 'something great written by someone who really wants to make a difference for the literary world as a WHOLE' mark, it feels more like it's in the 'something good that an elitist wrote' category" really sums up what I felt about Poeta en San Francisco.

Except I would change the "something good that an elitist wrote" into "something good that a poet wrote."

4:56 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

I'm very glad the question got asked, just like the question about translation. There are good arguments on both sides, though I'm sure it's clear where I fall on them.
Why did you feel singled out, Josh? Come chat.

aloha, sms

9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home