Thursday, April 27, 2006

blog tone

amlit338

I've had a hard time reading the tone on the blog for a long time. Are they joking, I wonder, or is there real rancor going on? I always hope the former, fear the latter. So I will say that I hope that the STFUs that have been exchanged between Sau and Stacy are not as hostile as they may seem. But I'll also add that on a space like a blog, it IS hard to read tone, so perhaps we ought to be slightly more, what?, formal, or at least more ostensibly polite in what little future we have left. I appreciate your passion, but there are ways to express passionate differences that are not nasty. Part of the lesson of this class is that we need, we must, find ways to speak to one another, despite the evident need for translation between languages and cultures.
I'm also wondering if some of our passions have been due to speaking quickly, hence without consideration of the exact wording we intend. When we speak quickly, we often don't select the right words. It's important to take care, because what is haste in one instance may prove an insult in another.

Ms. Manners

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home