Thursday, April 06, 2006

chryin' fo' figa dis out stay hod.

okay, so im not so sure if this will appropriately blog because, being the fool i am, i pressed the stupid enter button in the middle of my title making- so many readers probably just got an empty blog - oh well.
kamau got me really irritated...dont get me wrong - the play was enjoyable to read, and definitely a page turner. The hate that existed in the story really got me upset inside. I mean, technically...im the f'in haole. Sure i'm a poi dog, mixed plate, person that's not only white, but to mike and george (maybe alika) - im just some hoale who stole the land. If they got their way I'D be packing my bags and going off too the mainland - despite the fact that i consider Hawai'i MY home too. Those characters are, granted, fictional, but i think they are very realistic as well. I've run into people that allow hatred to burn them up inside and just distort the picture.
this play reminded me of a time my girlfriend and i were riding through waimanalo - sun roof down just chilling after a day in mokapu'u. We were driving through and we pass a group of men that yell "F--kin' haoles" at us. Gotta love that aloha spirit! what's even more funny about this is the fact that my girlfriend is a hawaiian with lighter skin. I wouldn'tve believed it either until i shook hands with her very HAWAIIAN father for the first time. But to that particular group of individuals white skin means stupid tourists.
There's so much talk against tourism, raping the aina, so on and so forth, but if it weren't for tourism, economy would be even more crappy - then there would be a whole lot more hawaiians homeless - not to mention a whole crapload of haoles, filipinos, etc too! I think people need to get over racial issues, accept what happened (not forget, but accept.), and learn to live with other humans harmoniously. I'm filipino, chinese, portuguese, and spanish. Conquistadors took over my grandfather's land and pretty much slaughtered many of my ancestors, but im not raising hell.
I think it was important when alika described what "aloha" really is, and its quite sad to think of how diminished the "aloha spirit" has become over the years.
I got off a plane from Japan about a year ago thinking "I hope all these people enjoy their stay and love hawaii as much as i do" I was proud the second i stepped off the aircraft and was like "this is my home - what a beautiful place to represent"
next thing i remember is having my pride stolen away and quickly replaced with embarassment when all of these visitors (and the returning dwellers) were not embraced warmly by their hosts. Instead of getting a welcome / aloha / hello. We all got "hey chry make da line shtrait. Move to da side." I was apalled. I may not be Hawaiian in blood, but Hawaii is my home just as much as the 22 yr old Hawaiian girl to my side. I wanted to tell these people welcome, hello...the whole shpeel. Next we got to the wiki wiki (you know... that ghetto ass trolly that is our sorry excuse for a shuttle at our airport) anywayz, we get the whole. "GET TO THE BACK! GET TO THE BACK!" smiles on people quickly faded and looks of convusion erupted on our guests faces. My sense of pride melted away, and now became anger. I couldn't help but hope that things would change soon.
Hawaii may have had a crummy past, but that should not sway how we treat hawaii now. i liked the mom and the security guards mentality...keeping the aloha spirit does not mean to keep the anger and hatred. move forward take care of the hawaii that exists today.
this blog was so scattered, but i think there's too much to say on everything so i'll end with this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home