Thursday, April 13, 2006

Da Mayah

I really enjoyed reading the play Da Mayah. It was a very funny play for starters. I found myself chuckling outloud on several occasions. I think some of the effect would be lost though if a person not from Hawaii or a person who hasn't lived here for awhile read it.

Anyway I wanted to point out something I remembered reading in the Star Bulletin about a year ago that relates to the play. It was back when Mufi Hannemann was trying really hard to seem interested in finding a solution to the horrendous traffic in Honolulu. I had forgotten about it till I read Da Mayah.

On page 199 Sandra says "I am so sick of these fricken politicians...spending all their energy working on...free trips to Asia."

I don't know if Mufi pays for all of his trips overseas but it is important to note that Mufi went to Japan to check out their monorail and determine the best course of action for Hawaii. Have you guys heard anything else about a new monorail or flying cars or hot air balloon carpools? I sure haven't.

So was Mufi pulling a Lester with his trip to Asia? Stay tuned next week gumshoes.

I don't stay current with local politics or rather politics in general for that matter but it's scary to think things like this actually happen. But then you look at D.C. and then it's probably the least scary thing to think about happening. I think the use of humor was meant to cover up the reality a little, well not cover it up but give it a nice sugary cover so that we don't miss the overall message to the story which is........well I don't know what it is. I've been sitting here thinking about it for quite some time and I have a few quasi-messages I have gained from reading this story. The only one I wish to share is that perhaps this play is pointing out that no matter where you go, politics are corrupt to a certain extent. Doesn't matter if it's on the mainland or in Hawaii, it's all just one big pile of crap. I think a story about how Disneyland is run by the Goofy crime syndicat would be the alternative.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home