Thursday, February 16, 2006

Holy Crap

Last time we talked about the ways in which Dispatches and Dien Cai Dau depict the war. Dien Cai Dau seems to show compassion in a few of the poems. I think it was "We Never Know" in which the narrator describes the dead soldier clutching a picture of his girlfriend/wife and then how he turns him over so he is not kissing the ground. I think that those cases of war are few and far between and for most, the war does not draw out compassion, but rather the worst in us. That is why I am posting a video of some British soldiers beating up some Iraqis. I guess this video has been all over the news but I haven't seen it so maybe everyone else hasn't either. Anyway the point of me posting this is to not see some British soldiers beating up unarmed civilians but rather to hear the wickedness in the voice of the person who is taping the beatings. He doesn't start saying anything until the beating starts and it's very chilling. From Dispatches there were stories about men smiling after shooting Vietcong and well I think this video is a modern day version of that.

http://media1.break.com/dnet/media/content/britishiraq12.wmv

1 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

Or go to salon.com today:

http://salon.com/news/feature/2006/02/16/abu_ghraib/

more Abu Ghraib photos (I haven't looked much).

sms

9:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home