Thursday, February 23, 2006

Prof. Heberle on THAT poem

which still confuses me, though I suspect Chris and Stri are righter than
I was...

I don't know the poem, but she seems to me an apparition--a slightlybedraggled Muse (she gets less attractive in every war) who allows thewar writer to bring something "positive" out of the experience--his lifeand his poetry.That's my guess, for what it's worth. She's always near a bridge maybebecause she's come from somewhere outside the war herself or because she'salways keeping the surviving writer alive when he thinks or thinks he seessomething other than the war?Mark

3 Comments:

Blogger Joshua said...

I was going to draw a diagram... But... This will have to do...


O = Jeep

------- = Road

. = girl

=== = bridge

-}
-}
-} = trees

So, first, they are driving on the road... and pass a bridge... in the distance is a tree-line...

-}
----O===------------ -}
-}

They pass the bridge and the girl pops out and waves them down...

! ! -}
-----====.-------O---- -}
-}

They then turn back and find the girl missing...


? -}
----====O---------- -}
-}

Then they turn back to look at the treeline as it explodes!!!!

! -*=****
---=====O--------------- **(boom!)
****-**

The girl SAVED their lives...

It is somewhat unclear, but if you really read it, this is the only way it makes sense. I think your view of it WAS skewed by reading the rape poem BEFORE reading this one. You saw it as revenge... I read this one first and saw it as an angel there to save their lives.

5:28 PM  
Blogger Joshua said...

hmm, the spaces kinda didn't stay... but the middle line worked.. Still works...

5:48 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Thanks, Josh. Makes sense to me now. I did approach the poem with a point of view, which is always a mistake, as I keep telling my students!

6:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home