Thursday, February 23, 2006

This Young Good god Young Girl Who Both Blesses His Life And Makes Him Wish He Had Never Been Born.

Oprah Winfrey pimps out Toni Morrison like a deal selling crack as candy. And call me biased, but reading any novel written by the woman who is part of the Winfrey Agenda just does not appeal much to me. The Winfrey Agenda is to empower strong independent women, as long as they continue to support the Winfrey Agenda. Morrison is part of the Winfrey Agenda, and for that sole fact alone; I am rather displeased to be reading a novel by her.

My opinion may change—and I certainly hope that it will—but the first fifty-one pages can be summed up like this (Sau Notes!):


- A good country couple moves to the city. Their names are Joe and Violet.
- Violet adores birds. They have no children together, despite the fact that they have been “together” for over two decades.
- Joe had an affair with a 18-year-old named Dorcas (yes, that’s a female name in Morrison’s crazy crazy world)
- Joe kills Dorcas because he loves her. Violet—playing the stereotypical role of the crazy bird lady—tries to cut open Dorcas’ face at the funeral. Despite the fact that it makes no sense since Dorcas is um, dead.
- Joe is an Avon man. Or in this case, a Cleopatra man. Violet works as a freelance hairstylist, which is to say that she is largely unemployed.
- Violet strikes up an odd friendship with Malvonne, who is Dorcas’ guardian and aunt.
- There is some mention of a threesome.



Oh, the only music of jazz scene or music is actually about blues. And any good pretentious jazz aficionado will tell you that blues is something separate from their beloved John Coltrane.

Again, I sincerely hope that further reading of Jazz will help me belove the novel further. But for the time being, please enjoy the summary for those of y’all who have yet to read the first fifty-one pages.

9 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

Yo Sau, is it possible that only people you admire like photography, or is it possible that Leni Riefenstahl also liked photography and that may poison your picture-taking well? Leave Oprah out of it, if you wish, and just read the book!

10:13 AM  
Blogger sau said...

I am not sure why Leni Riefenstahl would "poison" my well? Sure she might have had some Nazi sentiments, but she I do not recall her preaching the Nazi agenda.

Morrison on the other hand, has triumphed the Winfrey Agenda. And I will read the book, ma'am. As I mentioned before, I certainly hope that Morrison intrigues me as I read more of her writing.

10:32 AM  
Blogger sau said...

Whereas it may be true that Morrison came before Winfrey, she has become the Winfrey vehicle.

Morrison has made several appearances on the Winfrey show (though not as much as Dr. Phil, who got his own show as a result). As a result of Winfrey's constant "I love Morrison" jive, Morrison allowed Winfrey to "act" in the film version of Beloved and now sells Toni Morrison Hallmark cards.

No, there is nothing wrong with an author completely selling out. Provided that her/his work is absolutely astonishingly good. But I have yet to see that from Morrison.

But alas, fifty-one pages is only enough to see nothing. I may change my tone as the novel progresses.

12:18 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Can someone please explain "the Oprah agenda" to me? It strikes me as very oddly New Age and self-helpish, but what's the matter with supporting independent women? Sau?

sms

12:22 PM  
Blogger sau said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:28 PM  
Blogger sau said...

Independent women are great. Independent women who are dependent upon the whims of Winfrey's propaganda are not.

12:29 PM  
Blogger Joshua said...

Ya, stacy knows what she's talking about. She's the sax master (grrrowl.. Saxy!), remember?

I agree Sau. Independent woman are awesome. Not too sure about this "Oprah" person. I remember a few years back there was a controversy and she actually came to Amarillo (where I was raised from age 7ish to 18ish). She had said something bad about Beef or something and was so worried about people's opinion of her she actually came there and had a week of her show filmed in Amarillo Texas. She sells out just like Morrison. She sold out with the million pieces book too. She said it was STILL a good story, no matter the lies... Then took that back when people were like "WTF?!" and then brought him on the show and said "You lied to be, bitch? I am OPRAH! HOW DARE YOU!" Then she ate him and everyone in the audience screamed and clapped and got new cars....

THAT is the Oprah agenda. ACTING like an independent woman and then TOTALLY COLLAPSING AND MORPHING YOUR MORALS FOR POPULAR OPINIONS!

.....

I know some very independent women that would never go back on something they said, no matter how inane the statement or how wrong you proved them. (my mother is included in this category)

5:03 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

What's this about Morrison selling out? Hunh?
That Oprah incident was when she was sued by Texas ranchers for "slandering" beef. The whole thing was completely absurd, except she could have lost a fortune over it.
I had a friend in grad school who said the closest thing America has to a saint is Oprah. I've been more fond of her ever since. That's not an easy role.

sms

6:44 PM  
Blogger Joshua said...

Oh, come on! Saint? No!

That is insane. I must agree, to have made that much money and have so much power over the women of our country that she has to be an intelligent person, but to say that she is a saint is just.. Bah! Look up the definition before labeling her a "saint." That word has a connotation of religiosness. Is she even religious? I've only watched her show once, to see Tom Cruise flip out, so I dunno much about her.

2:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home