Thursday, March 02, 2006

All That Jazz

I think how the book is written is the thing that gives it is flavor, its guts, its,., UUMPH! It jumps around and is very much so gossip. I love the way the narrator is not explained. If she were, we wouldn't really have had anything to talk about the other day. I really don't know what the difference between Jazz is yet. The presentation the other day focused on blues and ragtime, but it never really got into jazz. I know it has a lot to do with the rythms and improvisation. I have to guess that is why the book is called Jazz. Sometimes the author goes off on little tangents (improvisations) like how a man views a woman on a stoop in a city but doesn't really see her as beautiful because of her beauty but because she is in the city. Little tangents like that, little quips about random topics, are what really seem Jazzy. It gives the book a style that I sometimes hate in other books, but she does it well. She is able to go off on INTERESTING tangents that keep the reader going. (for the most part)

I would post more, but I feel really crappy right now so I am going to go to bed early. Goodnight. Cya tomorrow, most likely. :-P


Oh, and Susan, Good luck in Texas. I hear Austin is pretty nice. It's not like some of the smaller cities where... life sucks and stuff. Buena Suerte en el estado de Texas!

2 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

Josh--if you listen to Spencer's cd all the way through, you'll see how blues and ragtime and stride melded into jazz.
Come to class!

9:33 AM  
Blogger Joshua said...

I came to class! I don't even think I have missed this class! :-P

4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home