Thursday, March 02, 2006

Jazz a temporal style

this book n me...we got a love hate thing going on. I love jazz because of it continuity, its narrative format, its welcome departure from anecdote to anecdote, and its quentin tarentino-esque tendencies. I hate Jazz because of its quentin tarentino-esque tendencies. I think this writing style is interesting, mixing up the story from beginning middle and end, and putting it all in the eyes of more than one narrator. My dislike of the book is not really rooted in how its written (this will get hella confusing) I like the way its put on paper dont get me wrong-i like how it flows-it inspires me. its creative how characters are introduced, but at the same time i read the book, and think: this would work so much better on screen (of course IF moviemakers didnt FUBAR everything in the story through paper - screen translation.)
why in the world do i contradict myself so much?! when i opened the book, i thought damn! this is just like pulp fiction - if you havent seen it - rent it its worth a watch...nevermind the blood, drugs, sex, etc., its good because of how things unfold in an order that almost doesnt make sense at first, but in the end its like finding that piece of the puzzle that you were looking for all along - you know the one with five nubs, one extended a bit farther than the rest and if you hold it it looks like its wearing a big shoe (forgive me i was working on a puzzle earlier). anywayz i digress...the reason why i dont feel that this book flows quite that well could very well be due to my own stupidity, dyslexity (no i dont REALLY have dsylxeia -HA! , but sometimes i really wonder), and lack of focus...but the reason still stands. I take a lot of breaks when I read semi-real fiction (sorry-nothing grabs me more than fantasy and real fiction), and when i take my breaks- however long / short they may be, I come back to a book that makes me think - did my damn cat jump on the book and lose my fricken' page again!?
Im not so sure about how this happens- perhaps i get lost with names, but @ times it seems almost as if i haven't met the characters ive been reading for pages (often, this IS the case). Morrison interjects character introduction - much like tarentino, but with a movie you see the person, you recognize them...in a book you get the thought:

"...wait this name doesn't look familiar - does it?...wait maybe i read it back there (turn a few pages)...that's funny (turn a few more)...what the hell?....(turn back to original page...read on)...OH SHES INTRODUCING THEM HERE!!!....now what the hell did i just read?" <-----SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME THIS HAPPENS TO YOU TOO!!!!!!!!


So like i said in the beginning Love / Hate. i love where the story goes, im interested in the characters enough to find out what happens in the end - but in the meantime, i cant help but feel like turning back to the beginning and starting over to erase the feeling that ive missed some crucial excerpt.

PS. I checked publication date of the book AND pulp fiction ---Morrison predates it by 3 years. Maybe tarentino's been reading some jazz

PPS. I thought of a theme: Music and how it relates to literature of the time / vise versa.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home