Thursday, April 06, 2006

Kamau

I really like Kamau, I was supposed to read this play in Eng 320 but since I already had my final paper done for another book I skipped it. I like Kamau for several reasons; the first is that it deals with issues that are a little touchy.

The character I like the most is the female tourist on the bus. I like how they made her husband the stereotypical ignorant and uncaring white person. It isn't so far off because I know that people like that do exist in the world, sad I know but it's true. Back to his wife though. I really like how she knows what's going on. She realizes Hawaii isn't the postcard it is made out to be and behind the shroud of tourism lays a people hurting from unspeakable atrocities and she wants to understand them. She makes us white people look a little more human.

I'm as white as they come, born and raised in the city with least amount of sunshine where 250 days out of the year are overcast. When I came here in the summer of 2003, I had NO idea any of the issues that Hawaii is currently facing even existed. I guess that is an indication of how good a job the Hawaii Tourism Bureau is doing at covering it up. I am in the position of the female tourist right now, I too want to know why everything is the way it is but it can be a little intimidating. That's why I like this play; it says everything I can't say.

I also like the scene on the beach with the security guard and Alika and his friends. I like how Alika's friends are going off on him for not being a true Hawaiian and then he just turns around and gives them a huge reality check. This play is effective because it speaks to a wide range of people. Most of us can relate to a situation in which we are town between the old and the new and this play can teach us many things about holding on to the past but at the same time looking to the future.

1 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

I like that positioning of yourself as the female tourist. Takes guts to see that, Chris.

2:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home