Thursday, March 23, 2006

The Clichéd “Required Blog Entry, But My Brain’s Already on Spring Break” Blog Post.

There is an impression that Barbara Kingsolver had a sequel in mind with the conclusion of Pigs in Heaven. As discussed, many classmates were disappointed with the ending of the novel. How everything according to Professor Schultz, “wrapped up nicely.”

I disagree with the “wrapped up nicely” comment. Because I feel that Kingsolver solved nothing at the conclusion of her novel. Consider this exchange between Turtle and her mother, Taylor:


Taylor: “Yep. Your family, to be exact.”

Turtle: “They’re crazy.”

Taylor: “I know…but they’ll probably grow on you.”



Pause for a moment and just contemplate how open-ended an ending this is. In Kingsolver’s new New York Times Bestseller: Cherokee Turtle!

To be quite frank (no pun intended. Frank), I expected a bit more. The novel started out with such promise and dissolved into all the clichés of a Police Academy movie. What a utter disappointed. I sense we should have read novel by Dean Koontz or Danielle Steele, at least there would have been a worthy conclusion to the mediocracy of the novel.

Meanwhile, I have begun reading Alani Apio’s play, Kamau. It is the next scheduled reading assignment, and I reckoned to get a head start.

The dialogue is starting to become rather difficult. I do understand that “pidgin” (or Hawaiian Creole English, for technicality) is the choice language. And I also understand its importance to the authenticity of the characters. But I do find it difficult to comprehend at times.

Before leaving for spring break, I really need spent some time in at some backyard barbeque chock full of pidgin speakers and domestic beer. I propose a class field trip to Waimanalo.

1 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

"Wrapped up nicely" was a bit sardonic on my part, Mediocre One. We'll talk more about this today in class. I fear that I too am mentally away...but we'll do our best.

11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home